Pretty pastel biscuits
This is a really simple biscuit recipe, ideal if you have little ones lending a helping hand. They’ll love colouring the icing and scattering over the sprinkles.
-100g softened unsalted butter
-100g caster sugar
-1 large egg
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-300g plain flour
-200g icing sugar
-3 tbsp of water
-Food colouring in colours of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC / 170º fan / gas mark 5.
- Cream together 100g softened unsalted butter and 100g caster sugar. Beat in 1 large egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract. You could also add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon, orange or almond extract here for added flavour if you wanted, but they are still tasty without. Stir in 300g plain flour, using your hands to combine into a dough.
- Roll out onto a floured surface, to about 1cm thick. Use biscuit cutters to stamp out shapes and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Leave to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, sift 200g icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add 3 tbsp of water. You might not need all of it so add a little at a time, you can always add more if needed. Stir until smooth. Decide what colours you want, then divide into separate bowls and add a few drops of your chosen food colouring, stirring until the colour is even.
- Use a teaspoon to drizzle the icing over the cooled biscuits, spreading it to the edges, then scatter over your sprinkles. Leave on the cooling rack until the icing hardens.
Check out Laura's website for more delicious makes!